That's Amore...

How have you all been?  

During this strange, unprecedented time we have hosted many socially distanced happy hours.  It began like this during quarantine.

We measured carefully and marked the driveway with chalk.  Our friends backed into our driveway, and we socialized distantly.  It We also did several Zoom meeting happy hours and before we knew it we were talking about how our little group of parents who got together throughout the year, texted often and even went away for annual moms weekends (shown here!) had become closer knit than ever.  


 We bundled up and enjoyed in person time together.  We were thankfully for the sunshine!



We also celebrated birthdays with parades, we have had many outdoor gatherings in addition to Zoom calls and Marco Polo video posts.  This past Saturday we had a somewhat impromptu patio "happy hour" that turned into an evening.  We ordered in some of our favorite things from Buca di Beppo to enjoy family style and I added a few cold items such as these beautiful meats I picked up at Cossetta Italian Market. The experience at Cossetta is almost as enjoyable as eating the delicious food.  One of the great things about walking into this small, family-owned market is that the folks there have been working there a very long time and they know their stuff.  I asked for advice on what to purchase for our evening.  I had them put together 3 different meats for 12 guests (including us) and I was referred to someone I wasn't familiar with but was born and raised in Italy.  He chose a mortadella, speck and a dry salami.  I put them together on my favorite white, rectangular platter and added grapes as a garnish.  I think it turned out lovely! 



This time of year brings many different tomatoes to our garden.  This year we have had plenty, but not nearly as many as in years past.  Nonetheless, I put together a mixture of tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.  I sliced a baguette (that was a few days old) and drizzled a generous amount of olive oil over the top and toasted the slices on a pan in the oven at 450 degrees for about 8 minutes to make the crostini.  My usual method includes rubbing each crostini with garlic after toasting the slices in the oven, but it was hot that afternoon, and quite frankly, I didn't want to! :) so I added the garlic to the tomato mixture and let it marinate together for an hour or so.  When I serve bruschetta I will top each slice with the tomato mixture, but because of the warm weather and having other things to enjoy as well, I put a small wooden spoon in the bowl for my guests to top their own crostini.  


 

We decorated the patio tables with white linens and fresh flowers.  On my adventure to Cossetta I also purchased bottles of Acqua Panna and Pellegrino for the tables.  I placed a bottle of Chianti on each table and a few bottles of chilled Orvieto on ice.  We had Tony Bennett playing and it took our simple happy hour up a notch.  It was a relaxing and easy evening with good friends.  Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to create a fresh, new atmosphere with things you already have but possibly seldom use.  

When you are amidst a pandemic, your days can feel like the movie Groundhogs Day-each day is the same and often they run together.  But, it is a good time to dig through your things and freshen up your environment. It might be time to dig out my Grandmas china luncheon set and have a tea party.  What will you do?

Comments

  1. So nice that you were inspired to post again, I so enjoy reading them! 😎 It’s a way to get more details than in a FB or Instagram post. Everything looks mouth-watering and it’s nice to read how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts